Bockfest is just an all-around fun time here in Cincinnati. First, you have great Bock beer. Second, we bless said beer (if you feel like you need approval from a higher power to drink, this is the place to get it). And, last but not least, you have all kinds of wacky tomfoolery, like the Bockfest Parade and my favorite, the Sausage Queen Competition.
What’s so great about Sausage Queen? Well, it’s a beauty contest that accepts anyone– male, female, old, young– whatever. There’s no “glitz”, no flippers, no fake tans (unless you’re already into that sort of thing), just a good time, some Little Kings beer, and you get to lead a parade in 2012.
So far there have already been a few preliminary sausage queen rounds (check out some photos by Thadd Fiala on his blog to get a good idea of the seriousness of the event. The goat in this post is an example), but there are a few more preliminaries if you want to try out.
Tonight, February 22nd, 9:30 PM at Arnold’s (It’ll be an all-female judging panel, including yours truly)
Saturday, February 26, 7:00 PM at Milton’s
The finals are at Bockfest Hall at 7 PM, emceed by Kevin Feldman from Milton’s… and me. That should be interesting!
The rules, if you want to be a Sausage Queen:
- Contestants must be at least 21 years of age.
- Contestants must have an appreciation for bock beer and sausage.
- Contestants must be available to compete in the March 5th Final Judging and available for the Bockfest Parade on March 4, 2011. The Queen must not be too much of a diva to show up to these events on time and must be capable and willing to traverse the full parade route.
- Contestants must be open-minded and fun. The competition is gender neutral. It is open to all shapes, sizes, and varieties of potential Bockfest royalty.
- Manner of dress is up to each contestant.