And I have a confession to make.
I like to eat junk sometimes. There. I said it.
Earlier today, I asked my Twitter followers two questions. The first: “What is your guilty pleasure food?” and the second, “What foods are you embarrassed to admit you love?”
I got some great answers.
Guilty pleasure foods ranged from junk food to comfort food, but were rarely exotic or gourmet. They also seemed pretty universal, as lots of people had similar answers (or answers that were in a similar vein):
- ice cream (#1, by far, including topping a homemade brownie)
- chips (salt and vinegar, doritos, cheetos)
- fast food (Filet o’ Fish, McDonald’s fries, Egg McMuffin)
- Mac and Cheese (some said boxed, some ” homemade, none of that Kraft business”)
Embarrassing foods ran the gamut. I was surprised by what kinds of food were considered embarrassing, but it was interesting to see what sorts of foods we saw as somehow unacceptable.
- liver pudding
- Egg McMuffin (same for both, said the respondent)
- ramen soup bricks
- McDonald’s french fries
- food court bourbon chicken
- Chinese buffet
- “those unnaturally orange crackers with peanut butter from the vending machine.”
- White Castles
- mayonnaise “by the spoonful”
- canned spaghetti and meatballs
- corn dogs
- hot dogs
- chopped liver
- Velveeta/Salsa dip
My guilty pleasure foods? I have a couple. First, I am absolutely a sucker for flavored potato chips. Barbecue? Yes. Cheddar cheese? Totally. Thai Peanut? Sure! I’m generally not into plain ones. I can’t have them in my house because I’ll eat them all.
Embarrassing foods? Easily (as you may have guessed from the picture)– Spaghetti-Os. I don’t actually like the kind with cut-up hot dogs in it, but it’s a total childhood thing. I rarely got them as a kid, and now I usually keep a can or two of them in the pantry. You know, for emergencies. On road trips, I allow myself one, single, solitary McGriddle (bacon, please), which are ridiculously bad for me and might take away some of my “food cred” (whatever that is). Apparently, my embarrassing foods are all junky fast food. Not surprising.
So what is your guilty pleasure? Which foods that you eat embarrass you (just a bit)? And why are we embarrassed/feel guilty about eating them?